We began this month by assembling the fuselage to the wings and setting the wings up at the correct dihedral and incidence. With the wings set at the proper angles, we then were able to average centre the holes and begin reaming for the wing pins. The initial cuts were made with a special boring assembly that centred on the carry thru holes. Once the boom had been cleaned up to the carry thru size, we switched to guided reamers for the finish sizing. All the pins are standard size. We can now order the balance of the wing pins from the UK.
We have made the cannon cocking pipe work that runs down the face of frame 10 on the R/H side of the cockpit using the remains of the originals as patterns. The pipes have been cleaned and lacquered.
We have fabricated the hinged lid and closing springs for the IFF button shrouds. This has been finished painted and the warning stencil applied. The lid assembly is now riveted in place.
Some research has been done to obtain the correct stencils for the de-ice tank markings and these stencils have been made and the markings applied to the tank.
There have been two switch brackets modified to accept the toggle switches for the fuel pump and the battery master. The mounting anchor nuts have been fitted to the fuselage side wall and the brackets mounted. Also fitted in this area is the radio controller plug stowage bracket which has been fabricated from new, engraved and detailed.
We have trial fitted the instruments into the blind flying panel. This has allowed us to fabricate as required and fit the pitot/static and vacuum pipes. New crush seals have been fabricated for the vacuum pipes and special pipe connections have been made for the junction of the pitot and static flexible lines. The mounting brackets for these are still to be made
The overhaul of the P type compass has been completed. A new glass was cut for the face and installed in the bezel. The compensator has also been overhauled and mounted to the main compass mount bracket. The undercarriage worning horn is also now attached to frame 11.
We have begun the overhaul of the pilots seat. The unit has been completely dismantled and new components fabricated as necessary. The painted components have now all been stripped and some have been finish painted and installed. We have dismantled the flare cartridge holder and fabricated a new end cap. The seat is now going back together with new hardware. We are also fabricating safety harness attachment fittings and fitting them to the seat concurrently.
We have completed the trim cable fairleads for within the cockpit and are now starting to install the trim cables.
Good progress has also been made on the remaining wing panels and the canon bay panels. The bottom inboard machine gun panel, the top outboard panel and the lower hinged panel between ribs 14 and 16 are all complete and prefitted. The aileron bellcrank access panel is also complete and prefitted.
We have completed the assembly of the radiator fairing and have trial fitted this with the radiator onto the wing. The main coolant pipes have been temporarily installed along with the coolant thermostat to allow us to confirm pipe clearance and routing.
Work has begun on the oil cooler mount assembly and fairing. The main components for the cooler mount have been fabricated and the straps have been sent away for plating. The two thermostat units have been ordered and the complete assembly can be trial fitted to the wing when the end fittings for the mount tubes are in from the machine shop.
Work continues on the engine mount, with the last couple of end fittings being drilled at this time.
The right hand trim tab for the elevator is complete now and the brace tubes are back from heat treatment and can be fitted. The elevator has been trial fitted to the tailplane and the mount fittings shimmed as required.
We encountered a problem with the stub axle on one main gear leg when we went to fit the wheels and as a result have had to change the axle for another. This axles had some damage on the bearing mount areas and we have had this reworked and ground and the new axle is now installed on the leg.
The inspection panels around the tail leg have been completed.
Work is progressing on the wiring and the new wiring diagram is under constant review. The conduit for the wing wiring has been installed and various sub looms have been made in readiness for installation.